Do you want to protect a folder from others? If yes, then go through this blog carefully. Maintaining your personal data private in Windows is very important. In this blog, you shall find a few ways by which you can keep your folder safe from other people.
Top methods of protecting a folder in Windows
Method A: Make multiple users
- Firstly, make a guest account. The simplest method for securing folder in Windows is to make a different account for every individual. By this way, the file present in a User’s directory will be available to that particular user only. Make a Guest sign in for letting other individuals work on your system without availing them your private data.
- Then, go to the Control Panel. Choose User Account for managing the account of your system. Choose the Guest account and press Turn On option. This shall turn on the guest sign in, and offers essential functions like web browsing. This shall prevent from watching other user’s data.
- After that, prefer password protecting your account. You need to choose your account from user list and press on ‘Create a password.’ This shall let you put the password that shall be needed for signing in to the account when Windows begin.
Method B: Make a compressed folder in Windows XP
- Firstly, make a compressed folder. Right click on the desktop or any other place wherever you wish to have your folder. Choose New. After that, press on Compressed Folder. Note that, you shall get a new .zip file on which you be able to put files the way you put in the folder.
- Then, move the files. Copy & paste the data into the newly made .zip file.
- After that, put a password. Go to the .zip file. Press File. After that, choose to Add a Password. Put a password that you like. Next, put enter the same passwords one more time for confirming it.
- Lastly, remove the original one. After the .zip file is made, note that you shall be having in total two different copies of a folder. One shall be the original, and the other shall be the .zip file. Don’t forget to remove the original file so that no one can get access to it.
Method C: Make a compressed folder in Windows Vista and newer
- Firstly, go for downloading and installing third-party compressed software. If you want to have the free one, then a 7-zip option is perfect for you.
- Then, make a compressed file. You need to select the folder for which you want to set a layer of protection. Then, right-click and choose 7-Zip from the menu. From the next menu, choose ‘Add to archive.’ This shall open 7- Zip.
- After that, change the settings. You shall be able to rename the file that has been made by you. Select .zip from ‘Archive format’ menu if you wish folder to be compatible on Computer without 7-Zip installed.
- Lastly, put the password. You not only need to add the password but also require to confirm the same.
Hope you have been able to protect a folder in Windows system after going through this blog carefully.
Harry Williams is an inventive person who has been doing intensive research in particular topics and writing blogs and articles on Norton, Webroot, McAfee, Microsoft Office and many other related topics. He is a very knowledgeable person with lots of experience.